Thursday 11 June 2020

Feeling My Feet - Vibram Fivefinger Shoes


Slightly random but from time to time I'll mention stuff that has either worked (mostly) or maybe not worked (can't think of anything right now but sure I will) for me.



Vibram FiveFingers EL-X Training Shoes - SS20 - 20% Off ...
For starters something nothing to do with cycling at all. Well just a bit but more on that later.

I know I keep banging on about Kelly Starrett but he really is the single (virtual) individual who has had the biggest impact on the quality of my life. One thing he stresses is the need to think about our entire body and, "guess what?" as he would say, the feet are part of the body.

So his suggestion is to spend time barefoot. Which is great in theory but has its drawbacks if you are exercising. So I got a pair of Vibram Fivefinger EL-X "shoes" as the next best thing.

The great thing about them is that they feel pretty much as if you are walking in bare feet but they provide grip if the surface you are working on is slippy.

They are not just good for working out. I've also found them handy for practicing golf as they make you very aware of how your weight is moving (which is the most important aspect of hitting a golf ball but that's another topic)

Also, and back to cycling, they are absolutely great for taking with you if you know you will need to walk anywhere during your ride. They weigh nothing and once rolled up take up next to no space so can easily fit in a back pocket.

I've found them especially useful when watching the Tour. Times were when you could ride the course even as the riders were approaching but those days are gone now. So, especially if you want to watch on a mountain, you will have a gendarme every few metres telling you to get off and walk. 

These shoes are perfect for this. I have tried them on all terrain in all weathers. Despite looking flimsy they offer great protection from stones and keep your feet warm even in the pouring rain (as they act a bit like a wetsuit, letting a bit of water which warms up and keep you snug. )

So all in all a 5/5, they get the Bahzob seal of approval.


No comments:

Post a Comment